Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Flash on AMD64 Linux

Adobe answered the cries of Linux users by releasing a 64-bit Linux Flash 10 Plugin. Note that as of this posting the plugin is an Alpha plugin, but I've installed it and have it working on both Firefox-3 and Opera-9.62 for Ubuntu 8.10 Linux.

After closing Firfox and Opera, then using Synaptic to remove flashplugin-nonfree from my system and Cleaning up My Ubuntu Box, I followed the installation instructions given by Adobe.

Firefox wanted to update itself as soon as I removed flashplugin-nonfree, but I held off on doing that until I had the new plugin installed. After extracting libflashplayer.so to ~/.mozilla/plugins I allowed Firefox to update via Ubuntus automatic updates, then started Firefox up and the Flash Player worked like a charm.

Opera didn't want to work right at first however. For some reason Opera wasn't aware of my ~/.mozilla/plugins directory as being a plugins directory so I had to add that directory to my plugins path in Opera.

Adding ~/.mozilla/plugins to my plugins path was simple enough.
Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Content > Plugins Options > Change Path


After adding ~/.mozilla/plugins to the list of folders and restarting Opera the Flash Player was working properly.

No comments: